Roanoke City Public Schools will be registering children for kindergarten and first grade Thursday and Friday, March 10 and 11 between 8:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. Parents should register at the school their children will be attending. They’ll need to bring a number of documents, including birth certificates, a report of a comprehensive physical examination for the child, immunization records and proof of residency. You can get more details by clicking on the link below, or calling 540-853-2816.
News Release from Roanoke City Public Schools:
RCPS Registration Begins for
Kindergarten and First Grade Children
Parents can register their children for next year’s kindergarten and first grade classes on March 10 and 11, 2011. Applications for pre-school (four-year-olds) will also be accepted at this time.
Registration is open to the following individuals:
- Children who will enter kindergarten and children currently enrolled in private kindergarten that will enter the public school system next year.
- Children who were eligible for kindergarten for 2010-2011 but were granted a waiver and will now enter school in September 2011.
- All children who will be five years old on or before September 30, 2011, are eligible for kindergarten.
- All children who will be four years old on or before September 30, 2011, are eligible to apply for the 4-year old preschool program. As of March 1, preschool applications will be available at all elementary schools and on the Roanoke City Public Schools website at www.roanokepreschool.org. Preschool screenings will be scheduled from March-May.
Parents of children entering school for the first time need the following information when registering:
- Immunization record.
- A state-issued certificate of birth (hospital record is not sufficient).
- A report of a comprehensive physical examination for the child.
- There will be forms to complete at the school, including a Residency/Custody Verification Form.
- Proof of residency- Option A) copy of a mortgage, lease or real estate tax assessment indicating principal residency in the City of Roanoke, OR Option B) copies of two documents must be provided: a valid driver’s license (or other government-issued photo ID) and a current utility bill (electric, gas, or water/sewer). Both need to list a Roanoke City address.
Parents should register at the elementary school the child will attend between the hours of 8 a.m. and 2 p.m. on March 10 or 11. Contact your local school for more information if needed.
Pupils who are presently attending kindergarten in Roanoke City Public Schools are not required to register to enter first grade.
Attendance zone information is available on our website at http://www.rcps.info or by calling 853-2816.