From the City of Salem: The Salem Fire & EMS Department responded to a structure fire at 425 White St. this morning at approximately 1:27 a.m. Two people were inside the home at the time of the fire, but both escaped without injury. The first units arrived within six minutes of receiving the call and found heavy smoke and fire coming from the building. The fire was brought under control within seven minutes of the arrival of the first engine. The building did sustain fire and smoke damage, but the fire was contained to the kitchen. Approximately 14 personnel from the Salem Fire & EMS Department (Engine 1, Engine 2, Engine 3, Truck1, Battalion 1 & Fire Medic 1) responded to the call. Roanoke Fire & EMS (Engine 4) and Roanoke County Fire & Rescue (Tanker 9) was on standby to cover additional emergency calls for the City of Salem. The Salem Fire Marshal’s Office determined the fire was caused by unattended cooking and the damage from the fire is estimated to be approximately $50,000. The residents of the home were displaced and are staying with family.