Update



Rke Fire-EMS LogoHere’s the press release from Roanoke Fire-EMS: On April 1, 2016, Roanoke Fire-EMS responded to a fire in the 1500 block of Sherwood Ave. The call was received in the E-911 Center at 12:20am and was under control at 12:45am. When crews arrived they found smoke coming from the eaves of a two story duplex. When firefighters entered the second floor apartment, they found an unconscious victim. The victim was transported to Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital where they were pronounced dead. A cat also perished in the fire. Two residents in the downstairs apartment were displaced and are being assisted by the American Red Cross. Damage estimates are approximately $34,500. The fire started in the upstairs apartment kitchen and was contained to the kitchen. The cause of the fire was combustibles too close to the stove and has been ruled as accidental. The apartment did have a working smoke alarm. The identification of the victim will not be released until a positive identification is made and the next of kin are notified.