Fire-ImageFrom Roanoke County Fire and Rescue: Fire investigators have determined that unattended cooking sparked the blaze in the 500 block of Polk Avenue last night in Vinton. Crews from the Vinton station, along with firefighters from Read Mountain and Mount Pleasant stations, arrived promptly and had the fire under control in about 10 minutes. A mother and her juvenile daughter were home at the time of the fire and escaped without injury. One dog escaped the blaze, but sadly another dog died inside the home. The family is displaced and the Red Cross is offering assistance. The fire caused $65,000 in damages.