Roanoke-CountyFrom Roanoke County Fire & Rescue: August 16, 2016 (ROANOKE COUNTY)—At about 2:45 this afternoon, Roanoke County Fire & Rescue crews were dispatched to the 100 block of Clubhouse Drive for a report of a gas line leak.

When the first units arrived, they found flames coming from the area where landscaping contractors had been digging. Firefighters protected several near-by homes from the flames until a gas company worker could arrive and shut off the natural gas line.

The fire marshal investigated and determined that a landscaping company was digging holes for fence posts and struck a natural gas line causing it to leak. The machinery sparked the flames and caused an estimated $10,000 in damages. The damage includes melted vinyl siding, a burned section of privacy fencing and water damage.

No injuries were reported.