Steve Biggs

From the Town of Christiansburg:  Steve Biggs  passed away this morning, Wednesday, April 12, at 3:41 a.m.  Assistant Town Manager Randy Wingfield, who is serving as interim town manager, sent the following comments to all staff via email: I was proud to have worked for Steve, and I learned much from him in terms of leadership, team building and public outreach. He has laid a solid foundation for the Town to use and built momentum that we can rightfully continue in his honor. I want to thank staff for all of the support you have shown. I also want you to know that Town Council fully supports staff going forward. We will get through this difficult time and have a better tomorrow in part because of the focus and direction of Steve.

Mayor Mike Barber issued the following statement this morning: Town Council and I are heartbroken this morning to learn of Steve’s passing. We met last night in a closed session to begin the healing process together and discuss the direction of the Town moving forward. We are confident in the leadership of Randy Wingfield, who is now serving as interim town manager, and of the leadership of all of our department heads. Steve leaves behind a progressive and proactive legacy, and we will work hard to honor and build upon all that he started. Town Council and I are keeping Steve’s family and friends in our thoughts and prayers.

(Continue reading for previous story)

CHRISTIANSBURG, Va. (AP) – A Virginia town manager who apparently shot himself in the head after an hours-long standoff with police had an emergency protective order issued against him last month. Court documents show that a 23-year-old woman obtained a 3-day protective order in March against Christiansburg Town Manager Steve Biggs, 53. The woman said in her complaint that Biggs harassed her and told her he loved her. The protective order was first reported by The Roanoke Times. Biggs, who is married with three children, denied the woman’s claims in interviews with the newspaper last week and on Monday. He said he was in a friendly relationship with her and had provided her financial help, but never threatened her. The judge denied the woman’s subsequent request for another protective order, finding there was no credible threat. State police also investigated and turned findings over to the county prosecutor, who found no probable cause for a charge of stalking or some other crime.